Saturday, May 12, 2012

House Quilt: finally finished!

Life got in the way of quilting for a while--I can't believe how long it's been since my last post! I have a new job, new home, new city, and new sewing space now, in beautiful Charlottesville, Virginia. I'm so lucky! I have finally finished the quilt I was working on for so long: baby Veronica will enjoy it, I hope, but she is too old for swaddling! Oh well. Here are some pics of the final product. First, the whole quilt. That's Veronica on the bottom as I imagine her someday. While the remainder of the quilt is original improvation, I got the idea for this square from a great flickr group, "sarah and molly's free piecing":



























Next up, the skyscraper is my personal favorite block. I love how the cynical owl turned out, and the butterfly floating above. It did seem a bit intense for a baby quilt, but I decided it was too wonderful to leave out:
















My second favorite block is this one, of a little girl wistfully standing outside a house. I have had this retro kid fabric for at least ten years, and I finally figured out how to use it without it looking corny. The snippet on the left is from a wonderful fabric designed by an artist in the southwest somewhere, purchased at the Houston International Quilt Festival a few years ago:














Everyone else likes this modernist block best! I don't mind it myself:









I think the reason it has taken me so long to finish this quilt is, I don't really want to let it go. But it will head off in the mail tomorrow. Goodbye quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment