Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jackson's jazz improv quilt

My friend Jackson takes wonderful care of my kitties when I'm out of town sometimes. I asked her if I could make her a quilt to thank her for this endless generosity. So she came over one day to pick her fabrics:

Her color palette rocks! So bright, with this crazy blue and white combination. I asked her some questions about what she likes aesthetically, but told her the quilt was going to be a surprise. Turns out, it took me ages to come up with an idea. I decided I wanted to try an improvised quilt, so I googled till I found this wonky coin quilt concept and imitated it. Maisie was helping, since Jackson's catsitting benefits her, too:


I was liking it but not thinking it would work for a WHOLE quilt, and then, at the Quilt Store on Anderson Lane I found this amazing Alexander Henry Matisse-inspired fabric. Apologies for the cat, but I didn't have it in my heart to move him (when he's on the ironing board he is the lion king overlooking the savannah). Jackson is a very jazzy girl, and I realized this could be a Matisse's-Jazz-inspired quilt. Next post will show how I'm using it!:

No comments:

Post a Comment